10 May 2011

Tween Tuesday: Priscilla the Great by Sybil Nelson

"Tween Tuesday" is a weekly meme hosted over at GreenBeanTeenQueen.  If you're looking for a good middle grade book or have a review to share, be sure to check it out!

Priscilla the Great by Sybil Nelson
© 15 April 2011 by Little Prince Publishing

Goodreads description:
Meet Priscilla Sumner, an ordinary seventh grader with extraordinary gifts. As if middle school isn’t hard enough, not only does Priscilla have to fight pimples and bullies, but genetically enhanced assassins trying to kill her and her family. Armed with wit, strength, and a genius best friend, Priscilla must defeat the Selliwood Institute, an organization dead set on turning children into killing machines.

Add an older brother annoyingly obsessed with Christina Aguilera, mischievous baby twin brothers who could scare the sin off of Satan, and parents more puzzling than a Rubik’s cube in the Bermuda triangle and expect a smoking page-turner!

Thoughts, Musings, Ramblings...

What a great tween read! I honestly can say that I really enjoyed this story from start to finish.  The author created an engaging protag and blended together a perfect amount of suspense and action to keep me "turning the pages." (read this as an ebook) 

I loved the fiery (yes, literally and figuratively) narrator, Priscilla (or Priss, as she's called).  She was written in such a way that she comes across as very real and very relateable. Her inner dialogue and, well, her actual dialogue strikes me as very much how I envision (and vaguely remember) that of an actual tween.

The storyline never seemed to drag for me.  You get right into the heat of things from the very beginning when Priss sets towels on fire in a bathroom at a party.  (hahaha, get it..."heat" of things? Yeah, I'm feeling very punny today)  I actually got so frustrated with her dad because he knew what was up and I wanted him to freaking tell me! When she overhears her parents' phone conversation, I wanted her to call him on it so I could find out the truth!

In the hopes of not spoiling any of the fun for you, I'll conclude by saying that there is a lot of action and suspense in this one. A little violence and blood makes its way in, but not in a graphic way at all--just the amount you would expect to move the storyline along. There is just a hint of romance sprinkled in as well--the very innocent first love kind of romance that is fun to read in tween stories.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds a bit like Kim Possible. It might make a good pairing. Thanks for the review! :)

Karen said...

This one sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

This one sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison