02 May 2011

YA Book Review: Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins



Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
© 2 March 2010 by Hyperion Books

Goodreads description:

Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
 Thoughts, Ramblings, Musings...

I have to say I wasn't sure about this one when I picked it up.  However, I did eventually pick it up (obviously!) because (a) I think the cover is cool and (b) it got some good ratings on Goodreads.  That being said, all the positive reviews and high ratings gave me some high expectations of the book.  Did it deliver? Yes!

From start to finish, I really liked the narrator.  Sophie is a snarky little thing and I loved it.  She had me laughing out loud at many points (which, in case you were curious, is a tad embarrassing when you're on the stationary bike at the gym).  She may have been a little clueless at points but not the extreme cluelessness that shows up in so many YA females these days.  She's mostly just clueless about the whole Prodigum "thing," which makes sense because she was raised by a normal human.  (Which, on another note, thank you Rachel Hawkins for not writing a magical character who automatically accepts and is awesome at all things magic-related.)

The storyline was fun and quick-paced, which I enjoy in a novel.  The character development was good--not necessarily as deep as it might have gone, but I felt like I at least knew the characters as slightly more than a basic acquaintance .There was a good amount of foreshadowing but the plot twists still kept me on the edge of my seat.  (I want to tell you all about how --------------------------------------------------------------(!) but I won't because I don't want to spoil it if you haven't read it and want to!)

Overall, very enjoyable read.  I'd definitely recommend it.

8 comments:

Sonia said...

Oh, I really want to read this now! I've seen so many good reviews, which actually inspired me to give it to my friend for her birthday. Now I'm thinking I'll need to borrow it from her to read... Is that weird? Borrowing a book you gave to someone? Ha, whatever ;) We share all our books. Thanks for the fantastic review! It sounds like a cute, fun book!

JessiM said...

Nah, go for it, lol! I've done that with my sister before! And, this really was a fun read! I hope your friend enjoys it (and then shares it with you!).

:-)

Jennifer A said...

I'm reading this right now, and it's so fun!

Thanks for not spoiling it! LOL. I'll have to come back and chat with you when I'm done. :)

Jennifer of Little Shelf

Erika said...

This book is moving up on my TBR list. Great Review!

Erika @ Let's talk about books

Cory K said...

Great review! I've yet to get my hands on this, but I really need too! Don't be a stranger, stop by my blog sometime and say hi!

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

Anti-Drug Reads said...

Great review! I've yet to get my hands on this, but I really need too! Don't be a stranger, stop by my blog sometime and say hi!

Looking forward to hearing back from you,
Cory @ Anti-Drug Reads

Jessi said...

Nah, go for it, lol! I've done that with my sister before! And, this really was a fun read! I hope your friend enjoys it (and then shares it with you!).

:-)

Erika said...

This book is moving up on my TBR list. Great Review!

Erika @ Let's talk about books

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison