15 August 2011

(ARC) YA Book Review: Wildefire by Karsten Knight

Release Date: 26 July 2011
Publisher: Harcourt Children's Books
Source: Simon & Schuster Galley Grab

Buy Your Copy! B&N | Amazon

Goodreads description:
Ashline Wilde is having a rough sophomore year. She’s struggling to find her place as the only Polynesian girl in school, her boyfriend just cheated on her, and now her runaway sister, Eve, has decided to barge back into her life. When Eve’s violent behavior escalates and she does the unthinkable, Ash transfers to a remote private school nestled in California’s redwoods, hoping to put the tragedy behind her. But her fresh start at Blackwood Academy doesn’t go as planned. Just as Ash is beginning to enjoy the perks of her new school, Ash discovers a chilling secret about the school--one that affects her. To make matters worse, Eve has resurfaced to haunt Ash, and she’s got some strange abilities of her own. With a war looming over campus, Ash must master the new fire smoldering within before she clashes with her sister one more time… And when warm and cold fronts collide, there’s guaranteed to be a storm.

My Thoughts...


Wildefire was an intense ride of a book that brought into play so many things that I like in a YA novel - a kick-butt heroine, action, suspense, mystery, monsters, and, oh yeah, a little romance.

From the very beginning, action runs this story.  You start with a bang: Ashline beating up a girl in the school parking lot over a boy. It was the kind of beginning that makes you stop and say "What in the world is up with this chick?!"  From that point on, the story takes off and leads you in directions that you didn't even imagine it was going.  After a couple of intense encounters with her sister, Eve, Ashline takes off for a secluded boarding school where she meets an interesting cast of characters.  The story continues to zip along, exploding with action, romance, and some super creepy and intriguing dreams. I found myself desperate to know more about those dreams!

Each and every character in this book felt vibrant and well-developed.  Their personalities take on lives of their own in each and every scene.  And beyond the characters, their origins and the mythology that Knight uses is unique and intriguing.  I loved that this story explores mythology beyond the more heavily explored "traditional" mythology (i.e. the Greek mythology).

There were a few plot developments that I wish had been fleshed out a bit more (like Serena with Jack...?) but overall I really enjoyed this read. I will be waiting on pins and needles to read books 2 and 3 because the holes that were left open have got me jumping to find out what happens next.

4 comments:

ilovebooks1972 said...

I also enjoyed this book and can't wait for the sequel!  Check out my review here:  http://misclisa.blogspot.com/2011/05/wildefire-by-karsten-knight.html

Somer said...

I totally agree with you on the plot developments!  I felt like something was left out! But overall I liked the book.

Jessica Secret said...

Huh. I think I'll skip this one.

Amethystdaydreams said...

I'm really looking forward to reading this one.  I met Karsten and he was wonderful.  Thanks for the review.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison