29 December 2011

YA Book Review: Wings by Aprilynne Pike


Wings by Aprilynne Pike
© 1 May 2009 by HarperTeen

Goodreads description:
Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful—too beautiful for words.


Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.


In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

My Thoughts...

This was one of the first books that I bought for my NookColor when I got it for Christmas in 2010 and I have NO IDEA why I waited so long to read it! I enjoyed every minute of this book. Aprilynne's writing is superb and so much fun to read.

Laurel, who has been home-schooled her whole life, starts high school at the local public school when her parents decide to move to a new town. While she's a bit socially awkward at first, a few people do their best to befriend her, including David who seems smitten with her from the very beginning.  Laurel slowly begins to adjust to life among the masses and even eventually warms up to her new friends. Everything is going swimmingly until one morning she wakes up to find a bump on her back.  Her mother assures her that it is simply probably her first zit and it will go away soon.  However, instead of getting smaller and disappearing, the bump grows larger and larger until one morning Laurel wakes to find a beautiful flower essentially blooming out of her back.


That's all I will stay about the story itself for now because there is so much to discover about the story that Aprilynne has crafted. The characters themselves are quite endearing and I enjoyed learning about the various facets of the lives of both the humans and the faeries.  Present, of course, is the love triangle that we are so used to read about these days, but this one didn't rub me the wrong way like some can.  It was cute and each boy was well-done. I think it will definitely be interesting to follow the trio through future books.

I loved that she wrote such a fresh, unique story about faeries. This was a really quick read as well and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone! It's a great read especially for young girls (10-12) because it doesn't have a lot of the darker elements that are fairly common.  It's a light read that I think many readers, even your more reluctant ones, will fly through.

6 comments:

Giselle said...

Oh wow this sounds to be really well written I had seen the book before but never really cecked what it was about. I'll definitely be putting this on my wishlist! Excellent review Jessi!

Giselle
Xpresso Reads

Nerdgirls said...

I've always wanted to read this book! I loved your review :)

Nerd Girls at Books to the Sky

Sgcallaway1994 said...

I had mixed feeelings about this one.  I haven't read any more from the series, have you or do you plan on it?

Melliane said...

like Sgcallaway1994 I was mixed about this book, so I didn't read the ohers. Maybe it was too young for me, but a lot of things bothered me. I'm glad it wasn't the same for you and you enjoyed it.

Jessi said...

I think I'm going to try for the second and see how it goes.  My grandma ADORES this series, lol.

Jessi said...

It did feel a little young for my general tastes too, but I did like that I felt like I could recommend it to the younger girls at the library who want to read YA. :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, so go ahead and leave some love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Barnes & Noble
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Don't Eat Worms kit by Lorie Davison